Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"BUDDY, CAN YOU SPARE A DIME?" ~ By Absolutely*Kate


"BUDDY, CAN YOU SPARE A DIME?"
~ By Absolutely*Kate



"Hey Joe -- " 



"I ain't your Joe - get outta my way." 


"Buddy, I don't wanta get in your way. I just wanta steamy cup o'joe, mebbe a piece o'pie, then I'll know -- " 

"Know whut?" 

"Why I'm on this streetcorner not named Desire." 

"You take a wrong turn wise guy?"

"Could say that." 

"In life or down the road?"

"Could say that too." 

"So you got a story -- "

"Hey Buddy, everyone's got a story. I used to build dreams, be on top of the job, plow the earth, brandish a gun into warzones, you know, all the natural stuff." 

"Don't give me any funny bizness Mister, I just stopped to listen to ya jaw."

"I'm jes tellin' you, they said there'd be peace and glory ahead, and now -- " 

"You're outta bread?"

"Could say that." 

"I just did."

"Musta been where I heard it then." 

"Hey Bub, I got places to go, things to do, folks to see, ya know. Whattya want from me?"

"You don't recognize me do you Joe? You used ta call me Al. I was your pal. We wore khaki suits like no get out and caroused towns some nights when it felt like there were no tomorrows." 

"Al?"

"S'right." 

"Damn it man - what the hell happened?"

"I ain't whistlin' Yankee Doodle ditties no more. That's the score." 

"But we had high hopes in you. Where'd it go sour man?"

"There's a Depression goin' on, ya mighta heard sumthin 'bout it." 

"But Al, you were such a swell -- "

"Don't wanta give you no song and dance now Joe. Me? I got places I gotta figger to go too." 

"Sorry man, whatcha want from me?"

"Hey Buddy, can you spare a dime?"


Absolutely*kate 


© 2011 ~ Author Absolutely*Kate
 ~ Another debut AT THE BIJOU
 Illustration ala 123RFStock Photos              



Boy oh boy, Al Jolson could belt 'em, huh?




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Worst part of that is: You gets no bread with one meat ball. At least he made his railroad run on time (like dat Messy Linguini fellah is gonna do over in Italia Bella couple years from now)while it lasted.

Kate Pilarcik ~ absolutely said...

Ain't dat the sad-sack truth, Mr Fedora Fella? And t'anks for "wonderin" on by.

~ Absolutely*Kate

Sean Patrick Reardon said...

The thing I love best about how write, besides the excellent dialogue, is that it as at such a high level, I end up reading it two or three more times, uncovering more each time.

Kate Pilarcik ~ absolutely said...

Sean Patrick, as admired as your incisive insightful scribing style has been since I've been readin' Reardon, do know I'm going to cherish this comment . . . immensely.

Thanks man. You're the kinda guy who woulda swiveled on the next stool extolling the merits of peach vs lemon pie with the guy. I just sense it. ~ Absolutely*Kate

Helen A. Howell said...

Poor Al, he's hit upon hard times
where he'd do anything for a dime.
Hope Joe's the pal he was
if not poor Al 'll go hungry 'cause
his buddy didn't spare a dime.

Kate no one, but no one can write like you! Excellent as always. ^__^

helen-scribbles.com

KjM said...

Buddy, you can call me 'Al'.

Hard times, *Kate, hard times. Perfectly captured.

From the magnificent "...on this streetcorner not named Desire." to the "...can you spare a dime?" that frames the story, you paint an entire history is simple(!) dialogue.

Artistry. No other word (though you could probably find one) for it.

KjM said...

And, maybe I should have spotted "Pal Joey" also. :-}

Craig Smith said...

Great stuff Kate.

I think you got the dialogue spot on. Maybe it's just me, but I would have given Al a dime or two.

Kate Pilarcik ~ absolutely said...

Lady Helen ~ my *thanks* for your feel on this life-tale and your gracing generosity towards fellow authors. It matters.

Oh Mr Mackey ~ I write and all gains more vibrance-within when your sensitive mastermind comes along and intuits message AND means. Ain't nuttin' slips by you pal. *spendid grin*

Craig -- Hey man - A hearty *WELCOME* AT THE BIJOU and so damn glad you're diggin' these fellows' dialogue. Funny, when you hear gut-speak, you just keep typing to tone. And Yeah, I'd 'spect you to share some coin. You ooze class, fella.

MIGHTY FINE THANKS, you guys
~ your pal where words soar,
~ Absolutely*Kate

Matthew S. Magda said...

This presents the mood and dialogue that is generated by hard times. It is abrupt and touched with posturing hostility, yet at the same time is imbued with a sadness. Brilliant portrayal, Kate.

Kevin Michaels said...

Nice beat, great rhythm, and smooth flow. It takes skill, ability, and talent to tell a story with only dialogue, and as Matt noted, you perfectly captured the mood of hard times beautifully and succinctly.

Kate Pilarcik ~ absolutely said...

Humbled, you guys whom I intellectually admire. Nod and thanks.

Matt can attest this one just came shootin' outta me while I watched it take screen and was careful to keep 'my' voice out of it and polish it in sync. *Voice* ~ amazing, huh, when you sense a character take you over and you feel as simply, thus strongly - the vehicle. ~ Kate, absolutely

KonnorGroBush said...

This Was Beautiful